At Jamacha Veterinary Clinic it is our policy to take every possible step to ensure that our patients receive the very best pharmaceutical products available. This is especially important with life-threatening illnesses, such as heartworm disease. However, we understand and empathize with the desire to find cheaper products. We know that several catalog houses presently sell these products for less than we are able to sell them. If you wish, we will gladly write prescriptions for your pet for these products in lieu of selling them at our Clinic. We do, however, want your decision to be an informed one and want you to know several things regarding catalog house prescription sales:
1. All major manufacturers maintain a strict policy of sales exclusively through licensed veterinarians. All catalog house sales are through non-approved channels.
2. Most guarantees that manufacturers make regarding their products are null and void if their products are purchased through non-approved channels. This includes the guarantee reimbursement programs for Sentinel Flea Control, as well as all heartworm and intestinal parasite claims.
3. Pharmaceuticals manufactured and labeled for use in other countries (namely Australia) have been illegally diverted and sold through these discount houses in the United States.
4. Discount houses have been cited by the FDA and State Boards of Pharmacy for violating prescribing procedures. PetMedExpress (a.k.a. SaveMax), was recently fined over $100,000.00 by the FDA and Florida Department of Health. This same discount house has also recently been sued by the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and the Texas Pharmacy Board for violating these procedures.
5. Our products are sold with the backup expertise of our staff, to allow your pet the maximum benefit of the prescription.
6. Shipping charges, delays, mis-shipments, and damaged products are some of the deterrents that many clients consider when dealing with the catalog houses and have come to the decision that they are not worth the savings.
7. The sales of many of our retail products help to subsidize the cost of other services at the hospital, namely many emergency and rarely used drugs, which are here to benefit your pet if ever necessary.
If you prefer to purchase your products at catalog houses, we will write prescriptions for these products according to the following guidelines:
1. All state and federal prescribing laws apply, the same as if you purchase it here.
2. We will write one prescription per pet per year at no charge. You must pick this prescription up in person. If this prescription is lost or filled improperly by the catalog house, additional copies will be provided to you at a bookkeeping fee of five dollars. (This fee only applies to those products prescribed on an annual basis, namely heartworm/flea prevention medication.)
3. To avoid any potential doctor-patient confidentiality issues, we will not communicate with the discount house in any form or fashion.
4. It is your responsibility to ensure that the prescription is sent, filled, labeled, shipped, and used correctly. The discount houses have a reputation for poor customer service and we cannot be expected to oversee their operations.
5. We will not become involved in any product failure issues for products purchased through these discount houses. This includes flea, heartworm, and intestinal parasite prevention. *** Our products are sold under the expertise of our staff to allow your pet the maximum benefit of the prescription.***